Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: cremins
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:28 pm 

Word is out that Bobby Cremins may be interested in the C of C job.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:49 pm 

Yuck.

This job is not for part timers.

There is a reason Cremins has remained retired.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:02 pm 

Cremins would probably demand a s***load of money too.

I can't help but remember what Cremins said during the broadcast of the game at ETSU during 2004-2005, something such as "They've got 3 Jacksons on the court right now. 2 more and they'd have the Jackson 5." That was BY FAR the worst thing I'd ever heard on any broadcast of any sport at any level. That right there sums up my opinion of Bobby Cremins.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:12 pm 

took a leak with cremins in the coliseum last year, didn't wash his hands.
everyone was more than eager to shake his hand when he was exiting the can though.
I had to warn my buddy who was a big fan not to shake his hand.

i say no to germy hand coach...somebody pass this info along to the selection committee.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:14 pm 

comfortablynumb93 wrote:
took a leak with cremins in the coliseum last year, didn't wash his hands.
everyone was more than eager to shake his hand when he was exiting the can though.
I had to warn my buddy who was a big fan not to shake his hand.

i say no to germy hand coach.

Are you serious? lol. Thats hilarious!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:34 pm 

So, two former ASU head coaches are interested in the job? Anybody called Apke?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:10 pm 

Just what should we call him?
Seriously though, Cremins would be a major mistake.
A few days ago, I watched a commemorative video of CofC's victory over Georgia Tech, and was reminded, once again, what a mediocre coach he was/is.
Great guy ... bot not the man for this job.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:17 pm 

Always thought he was a good recruiter but not a very good coach.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:02 pm 

Besides do you think any high school kid today has any idea who he is?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:34 pm 

There's only one way a Cremins hiring works ...
If, and only if, he gets a crackerjack staff to teach and recruit. Cremins would be the glad-handing figurehead, with everyone else doing to heavy lifting.
Here's a scary thought: Maybe he'd bring back his former App State assistant, Nate Ross, as an assistant at CofC.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:47 pm 

You mean Lil' Dino was a coach? Who new?

Always thought you could build an episode of Seinfeld around the moment when I gave him a 50 cent piece to pay for my meal back in the day. Lets just say he is obviously not amused by coins that don't have a designated place in the cash register.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:56 pm 

Nate Ross was an assistant at The Citadel during the ill-fated Randy Nesbit tenure.
He's the one who traveled all the way to Nigeria to bring back Gus Olalere and (his real prize) Love Ishie.
Now THERE were two great recruits.
Suffice it to say, for a food service magnate, he was a helluva recruiter.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:04 pm 

But seriously, had Love Ishie been able to walk, he might have been a pretty good player.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:20 pm 

Seenitall55 wrote:
Just what should we call him?
Seriously though, Cremins would be a major mistake.
A few days ago, I watched a commemorative video of CofC's victory over Georgia Tech, and was reminded, once again, what a mediocre coach he was/is.
Great guy ... bot not the man for this job.

Mediocre? His major probs occurred in a year following depletion of stars leaving early for the NBA.

However:
[b]1. All time winningest coach in GT history
2. ACC Coach of the Year [b]3 times

3. 3 ACC tournment titles
4. 1 ACC reg season title
5. Final Four appearance
6. National Coach of the Year in 1990[/b][/b]
Cremins assumed the head coaching position at Georgia Tech on April 14, 1981, with Tech coming off a disastrous 4-23 season, winless in the ACC, and amidst the prevailing belief that the Rambling Wreck could never compete on an equal footing with its ACC brethren.

Took Cremins less than 48 months to guide Tech to the championship of the Atlantic Coast Conference and a berth in the Final Eight in the 1985 NCAA Tournament. GT basketball was joke before Cremins arrived.
Cremins did pretty damn well to hold his own during his years vs Dean Smith and Coach K.
Not to many in the coaching ranks would call him mediocre.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:22 pm 

comfortablynumb93 wrote:
took a leak with cremins in the coliseum last year, .

Dayum.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:59 pm 

cofcxc wrote:

Doesn't matter. HS kids will just hear "I coached Georgia Tech to a Final Four appearance and multiple ACC titles." Rightly or wrongly, that carries a TON of weight. Recruiting wouldn't be the problem with Cremins as the HC here, IMO.

He isn't as old as I thought he was, either-- will be 59 on July 4th. Younger than my dad!

Not saying Cremins is my 1st (or even 2nd) choice, but I don't think he's necessarily washed up. Maybe the last 4 or so years at GT, when his teams weren't that great, were just evidence of fatigue after 20 years at the helm of a major conference program. Dunno. Seems like JK got pretty burned out after 20 years too. Perhaps Cremins is rejuvenated after 6 years off.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:15 am 

EDIT-

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:17 am 

cofcgrad02 wrote:
cofcxc wrote:

Doesn't matter. HS kids will just hear "I coached Georgia Tech to a Final Four appearance and multiple ACC titles." Rightly or wrongly, that carries a TON of weight. Recruiting wouldn't be the problem with Cremins as the HC here, IMO.

He isn't as old as I thought he was, either-- will be 59 on July 4th. Younger than my dad!

Not saying Cremins is my 1st (or even 2nd) choice, but I don't think he's necessarily washed up. Maybe the last 4 or so years at GT, when his teams weren't that great, were just evidence of fatigue after 20 years at the helm of a major conference program. Dunno. Seems like JK got pretty burned out after 20 years too. Perhaps Cremins is rejuvenated after 6 years off.

And in 1863 Stonewall Jackson deftly guided his men in The Battle of the Wilderness.

No one doubts that Cremins had his time in the sun but those days are past. He flaked out on the Gamecocks, returned to GT where he was largely ineffective and was pushed aside and has been retired for a while.

I'm sure we'd get a blurb on Sportscenter for hiring Cremins - but thats about it.

I'll take him over Buzz but he's not close to the top of my list. And he's older than my dad.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:22 am 

If his intention is to hire a really good bench coach/tactician... and he wants to create a new legacy.... I can buy letting him have his swan song... He doesn't need the money!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:53 am 

cofcxc wrote:
cofcgrad02 wrote:
cofcxc wrote:

And in 1863 Stonewall Jackson deftly guided his men in The Battle of the Wilderness.

No one doubts that Cremins had his time in the sun but those days are past. He flaked out on the Gamecocks, returned to GT where he was largely ineffective and was pushed aside and has been retired for a while.

I'm sure we'd get a blurb on Sportscenter for hiring Cremins - but thats about it.

I'll take him over Buzz but he's not close to the top of my list. And he's older than my dad.

How old was John Wooden when he won the string of National Championships.

I'm not saying Cremins is a good fit, but i do find it a bit laughable that some think CofC is too good for Cremins. IMOP, it would be difficult to get Cremins to take the job unless his finacial situation has made an about face.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:01 am 

From SOCON1:
I'm not saying Cremins is a good fit, but i do find it a bit laughable that some think CofC is too good for Cremins. IMOP, it would be difficult to get Cremins to take the job unless his finacial situation has made an about face.
=====================================================

I find it laughable that outsiders have no clue that the vast majority of Cougar fans simply prefer to have a younger coach we all know and love like a Yarborough, Marshall or Betts over Cremins. No doubt Cremins was good. As far as that goes no doubt Peterson is a good coach. We just prefer one of what we think of as our own who we know would stay for a while. If you interpret that a different way so be it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:35 am 

For me, I'll take Marshall, Yarborough, or Cremins... They all bring different skillsets to the table that I want at my Alma Mater....

I've made this perfectly clear to the selection committee.... It's just a darn shame that goferrgc wasn't allowed on the committee!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:17 pm 

Another thought may be that Cremins will stay. He has been around the block and probably is not looking for that " :brave: greener grass" on the other side! At only 59 he could settle here for life and bring some respect and dignity back! I think maybe his age and maturity is a benefit!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:24 pm 

He lives in Hilton Head, doesn't need the money, and wants the opportunity to create a new legacy....

I'd be happy with him, Marshall or Yarborough...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:44 pm 

swampcougar1 wrote:
From SOCON1:
=====================================================

I find it laughable that outsiders have no clue that the vast majority of Cougar fans simply prefer to have a younger coach we all know and love like a Yarborough, Marshall or Betts over Cremins. No doubt Cremins was good. As far as that goes no doubt Peterson is a good coach. who we know would stay for a while. If you interpret that a different way so be it.

Not wanting him and dissing him as several posters did are two different things.
Look at App's program now and when Cremins was there. Look at GTechs before he got there and what he did for them. If he could take App to the Dance, he could take anybody.

Last edited by SoCon1 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball